Learn Chinese Forum

Learn Chinese Forum,中国語の勉強フォーラム,对外汉语论坛,Apprendre le chinois,Chinesisch Lernen,Aprender Chino,중국어도 배우고,Imparare Cinese,Aprenda Chinês  Learn Chinese学中...  Chinese Languag...  Whice dialect is more ancient?
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 2007/01/26 11:30
  ChiBin
70 posts
1st

Whice dialect is more ancient? 
My friend and I brought up an arguement, which was quite funny.

He thinks Fujianese is the most ancient dialect. Some people believe Fujianese is exactly the same as the official language in Tang dynasty. But it's not proved.

I think Cantonese is ancient, because the Cantonese words and grammar are more concise and....I do not know how to say, the word order of Cantonese looks very much like old time Chinese.

My colleagues do not agree with me. They think the major culture has been developed and spread from middle land of China, containing provinces of Henan河南, Shanxi山西, Shanxi陕西.So their dialects should be as ancient as their culture. But others think the northern provinces were greatly influenced by Mongolian and Manchrian in Yuan Dynasty and Qing Dynasty.

What do you think?

中国爷们

New Post 2007/01/26 12:16
  Ming
51 posts
1st

Re: Whice dialect is more ancient? 

[QUOTE]ChiBinwrote

I think Cantonese is ancient, because the Cantonese words and grammar are more concise and....I do not know how to say, the word order of Cantonese looks very much like old time Chinese.

the northern provinces were greatly influenced by Mongolian and Manchrian in Yuan Dynasty and Qing Dynasty.
QUOTE]

I agree.

New Post 2007/01/26 16:26
  Toss
22 posts
6th Level Poster

Including some of the ethnic minorities's language ?

I am a not Maoist.

New Post 2007/01/27 23:47
  ChiBin
70 posts
1st

I do not think that a language, even if not "widespread", should not be taken in consideration in terms of "oldness" (sorry for my phrasing)... I've seen someone who quoted Max Weinreich "a shprakh iz a dialekt mit an armey un flot" (= a language is a dialect with an army and a navy), and I think it is pretty much the same with Chinese ethnical minorities's dialects. Now, I would not be able to say which of them are the oldest. As for the diverse languages among the Han-group, I do not know either. Need some research...

中国爷们

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Learn Chinese Forum,中国語の勉強フォーラム,对外汉语论坛,Apprendre le chinois,Chinesisch Lernen,Aprender Chino,중국어도 배우고,Imparare Cinese,Aprenda Chinês  Learn Chinese学中...  Chinese Languag...  Whice dialect is more ancient?
Scan now
Responsive image